Due to the current conditions and risk of ice on minor roads we have took the decision to cancel the Easy Wheeler & Dev Ride dated 16th December 2018. We have to consider riders safety on their way, during and after events. We will re-do this route at the earliest & safest opportunity
It is with regret we inform you that our Charity TT (from 11am 17/12/17) has been CANCELLED due to the road conditions and sub zero temperatures, for the last few days the temperature has floated around 0 and large patches of frost and ice have formed on most roads in the area, we conducted an assessment lap of the course and conditions were deemed to hazardous for riders.
Club chairman Paul stated on Saturday evening : “I have just been up to check m12 for tomorrow’s charity TT and the course is too dangerous as it stands with another sub zero night due I have made the difficult decision to cancel the event! Riders have a choice of a refund or continue to give entry fee to the charity! This was a very hard decision as I know many had costumes and bikes ready but the course is simply not safe as it stands”
Safety is our number one concern and as organisers of the event we have to occasionally make tough calls, as much as we’d love to see everyone in their fancy dress and bikes on the M12 tomorrow we simply just don’t want to put people at risk!
As always any questions or concerns if there is any get in touch, and we’ll see you out there soon, thanks for your understanding in this matter.
We have made the advanced decision to cancel the club time trial on the M12 (Stamfordham) course on Thursday 11th August.
This is due to ‘surface dressing’ resurfacing works on the course and the new loose road surface being deemed a hazard to entrants.
We will keep an eye on the road conditions for the final few events, and hopefully another week will allow for the road surface to be compacted and relevant finish to the works by the local authority to take place. Surface dressing brings the hazard of loose chippings/gravel, accumulations of loose stones and patches of tar to become hazardous to cyclists, as well as flying chips from cars passing above the recommended speed limit.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to anyone but as a club we have to put the safety of everyone first. The decision has been made by the club committee as well as taking in feedback from local cycling organisations.
Please note our club open time trial on the M12 (Stamfordham) course has been ** cancelled ** this evening.
Apologises for any inconvenience caused, but after a consultation with riders after a course recce, road resurfacing works have presented a hazard on a stretch of the course.
Please pass on or share this post to anyone you know that may have been wishing to attend.
We feel it is irresponsible to run an event on a course where we have been alerted of road surface issues.
As most of you are aware the decision was made to cancel today’s ride.
This was due to overnight sub zero temperatures and early morning snow fall.
Thanks to all that fed back the road conditions to us and apologies if you began to make your way to our ride.
Keep an eye on the twitter / Facebook before winter rides for the latest.
This is amazingly a club first. We’ve never previously cancelled a club ride.
bit.ly/BlaydonWinter explains a little more about us cancelling or changing rides and why we do it